Tuesday

Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione - I Heart Italians






This Alfa Romeo Competizione is a 2007 model, but just recently, the first one to make it to U.S. soil was sold.

The Alfa Romeo Competizione is a fine example of Italian Design. It has the kind of shape that we all drew when we were kids. Mine always looked like an early eighties Corvette. Always. But Wolfgang Egger was able to take the classic high wheel arches and a small canopy behind a long bonnet and make it really sexy in an Alfa Romeo kind of way.I've always liked Alfas, but no one is on the fence when it comes to the shield style grille.

I have one major critisism. Why does the front of the car get a separate bulb for every possible lighting function, ie. low beam, high beam, turn signal, fog lights, while the back gets just one round light. Where is the turn signal? Okay, the single light can act as a light, brake light, and a turn signal. But the reverse light? It's tucked down near the bottom, only balanced by the bright red rear fog/anti-crash light. Did they pick those up at Autozone? I think the reverse light could have been incorporated into the center like the Ford GT. It certainly deserved more consideration than what was given to them. I do actually really like the "afterburner" led tail lights.

The Alfa is distinctively Italian. An instant classic. Well, come to think of it, The 8C was almost a classic before it even got here. The concept appeared in 2003, but it wasn't until this month that one finally sold in the U.S.

Welcome to the States.

3 comments:

Brian Phillips said...

Well Greg, I (Alison) know nothing about cars, but I am learning. Brian of course knows some things and some of our other friends heart cars, too. I do enjoy that Top Speed show since it's funny, so I'm glad we have discovered your blog now (since you're funny)!

Butch said...

Check out this site for a picture of the rearend of a car that had only two tail lights and rear backup light tucked out of the way. They hadn't invented the F1 racing tail light yet. If you stretch this Alpha, take some of the roundness out of it and reduce the number of lights up front you just might see what is at this site. Difference, this ones value just keeps on going up and up no matter how many lights there are. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_275

Butch said...

I forgot to mention, "nice work". Oh and the Alpha that I mentioned was suppose to be with the Dog following it. I like the new car and yet always out of my reach.